What is the Track 2 process?
Under the Track 2 process, the determination of the eligibility of the project and the monitoring and verification of emission reductions is subject to the procedure under the Joint Implementation Supervisory Committee (JISC), as set out in 9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraphs 30-45 (the JI guidelines):
The verification procedure under the Article 6 Supervisory Committee is the determination by an independent entity, accredited pursuant to appendix A below, of whether a project and the ensuing reductions of anthropogenic emissions by sources or enhancements of anthropogenic removals by sinks meet the relevant requirements of Article 6 and these guidelines (9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraphs 30).
In summary, the Track 2 process involves the following steps:
- The accredited independent entity (AIE) determines that the project meets the requirements of the JI guidelines and makes its determination publicly available.
- Two JISC members, advised by two experts, appraise the determination report.
- The JISC or a Party involved may request a review of the project. If no review is requested within 45 days, the determination is deemed to be final.
- The project participants monitor the emission reductions or removals generated by the project in accordance with the monitoring plan, prepare a monitoring report and send the monitoring report to the AIE.
- The AIE verifies the emission reductions or removals set out in the report and makes its verification report publicly available.
- Two JISC members appraise the verification report.
- The JISC or a Party involved may request a review of the project. If no review is requested within 15 days, the verification is deemed to be final.
Who can participate in the Track 2 process?
All Parties may participate in the Track 2 process. However, in order to issue and transfer ERUs to project participants, Parties must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- It is a Party to the Kyoto Protocol
- Its assigned amount pursuant to Article 3, paragraphs 7 and 8, has been calculated and recorded in accordance with decision 13/CMP.1
- It has in place a national registry in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 4, and the requirements in the guidelines decided thereunder (9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 21).
Parties that meet the eligibility criteria to participate in the Track 1 process may still elect to be subject to the Track 2 verification process under the JISC, or may adopt rules that modify only part of this Track 2 process and adopt the remainder:
A host Party which meets the requirements in paragraph 21 above may at any time elect to use the verification procedure under the Article 6 Supervisory Committee (9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 25).