General guidance on the eligibility requirements for projects is offered in 9/CMP.1, paragraph 4, which states:
The Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol ...
- Decides that projects under Article 6 aimed at enhancing anthropogenic removals by sinks shall conform to definitions, accounting rules, modalities and guidelines under Article 3, paragraphs 3 and 4, of the Kyoto Protocol (9/CMP.1, paragraph 4).
Additional requirements for Track 2 projects are framed as requirements for determination. These are:
- That the project has been approved by the Parties involved;
- That the project would result in emission reductions that are additional to what would otherwise occur;
- That the project has an appropriate baseline and monitoring plan; and
- That the project participants have submitted an analysis of the likely environmental impacts of the project (9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 33).
These are set out in full in 9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 33:
The accredited independent entity shall determine whether:
- The project has been approved by the Parties involved;
- The project would result in a reduction of anthropogenic emissions by sources or an enhancement of anthropogenic removals by sinks that is additional to any that would otherwise occur;
- The project has an appropriate baseline and monitoring plan in accordance with the criteria set out in appendix B below;
- Project participants have submitted to the accredited independent entity documentation on the analysis of the environmental impacts of the project activity, including transboundary impacts, in accordance with procedures as determined by the host Party, and, if those impacts are considered significant by the project participants or the host Party, have undertaken an environmental impact assessment in accordance with procedures as required by the host Party (9/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 33).